Chapel Hill ISD
2016 - 2017 School Calendar
House Bill (HB) 2610, passed by the 84th Texas Legislature, amends the Texas Education Code (TEC), §25.081, by striking language requiring 180 days of instruction and replacing this language with language requiring districts and charter schools to provide at least 75,600 minutes of instruction (including intermissions and recess). The bill also allows school districts and charter schools to add minutes as necessary to compensate for minutes of instruction lost due to school closures caused by disaster, flood, extreme weather conditions, fuel curtailment or another calamity.
Beginning in the 2016-2017 school year, school districts and charter schools will be required to submit calendars showing the amount of time that school was held each day, along with any waiver minutes granted by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) through the summer data submission. The TEA will use the data to verify that school districts and charter schools meet the required number of minutes of instruction. Districts and charter schools that do not meet the requirements will receive a funding deduction proportionate to the amount of minutes that they fall short of meeting requirements.
Based on HB 2610, the Chapel Hill ISD Board of Trustees has adopted a school calendar for the 2016-2017 school year. You will notice the following changes to the calendar;
• All campuses have extended the school day by 20 minutes.
• There are separate elementary and secondary calendars.
• Secondary summer school is built into the regular school calendar.
• The phrase "banked days"means minutes that were added to the school calendar to compensate for lost instructional minutes (bad weather days).
• The last day of school for secondary students who DO NOT have to attend summer school is May 15, 2017.
• Graduation is on May 19, 2017.
• The last day of school for elementary and secondary students who must attend summer school is May 26, 2017.
Click below to view the calendars for the 2016-2017 School Year
Deputy Superintendent Chapel Hill l.S.D.